Thursday, March 1, 2012

Just BEET It (smoothie)



It's been a while since I've been able to focus enough to create a new recipe AND actually find the time to blog it. Being immersed in a 16-hour college semester has a way of doing that, for some reason. To save time and money on food prep, AND to initiate some kitchen creativity I've invested in a fantastic blender (a Vitamix -- and yes, it really is THAT great). Every day since it was delivered, I've either made a tasty smoothie or savory soup - some days, both!

This morning I created a smoothie that has been percolating around inside my head for a few days now - a Strawberry Beet smoothie. Now, before you exit this page, keep in mind that I did not use pickled beets, AND I will inform you that this smoothie does not have the "earthy" taste that fresh beets convey on their own. One of the KEY ingredients in smoothies that combine unusual produce with fruit is citrus. For some reason, the tartness of lemons and limes balance out the earthiness (or "dirt-like" flavor, as one person put it) of root vegetables.

Beets are a super-healthy food. According to John Douillard, in The 3-Season Diet, beets are great blood-building food and are cleansing to the lymph and both the upper and lower digestive systems. Now, who doesn't what THAT?

Ingredients:
* 1 small apple, cored and chopped (Granny Smith apple works best, but any apple will suffice)
* 1 small red beet (raw), peeled and chopped
* one lime, peel removed
* 7-9 frozen strawberries or 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (or some combination of them)
* 6-8 ice cubes
* 1 cup water (use more or less, depending on desired consistency)

Directions:
Put all ingredients in blender and puree until desired consistency.

Makes 1 large or 2 small servings.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this going purely on the fact that I like all the rest of your smoothies. I must admit to being a little afraid of this one. I tasted the tiniest bit off the tip of the blender and liked it. I was surprised! I will add beets to the smoothie drawer in the fridge. I am thinking about working something out with carrots and beets in a smoothie since I like that salad so well.

    ReplyDelete